Williamstown Borough is a small, close-knit community located on the northeastern most border of Dauphin County. Rich in anthracite mining history, Williamstown was founded and settled in 1826 by Daniel Williams for whom the borough is named. Coal was first mined here in 1866, and by 1873, Williamstown was the largest and most famous Anthracite colliery in the world.
The Borough was incorporated on June 22, 1887, and is today primarily a residential community. Civic and recreational organizations include Volunteer Fire and Emergency Medical Services, the WYAA (Williamstown Youth Athletic Association), the Williamstown Community Pride Committee, WEDO, American Legion and VFW posts. Anyone interested in learning more about our borough and its history may contact the Williamstown Historical Society.